Monday, March 26, 2018

Blended image to classification in ArcMap

A while back I did a vegetation classification in ArcMap using data collected from a drone. The method was fairly simple and I was pretty pleased with the result. I wanted to simultaneously display the image and the classified map. I had seen some pretty nifty blended images on the web that were created in Photoshop, but since I don't have Photoshop on my computer I opted to try to figure out how to do this in ArcMap. In general, I followed the steps to this tutorial - https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2008/10/14/fade-to-white-background-effect/

However, I took some liberties and deviated from it a bit. My classification was a raster so in order to accommodate that I sliced the raster up into discrete slices going from north to south. For each raster I set the transparency to increase by 7%. Likewise I did the same with the segment outlines (the black lines).

Below is the resulting image. In case you are interested in the actual vegetation here is what each color represents: blue = sagebrush, green = other shrub, pink = cheatgrass+forbs, tan = bare soil, and gray = dead shrub (rare in this image). The UAV image was take by AboveGeo near Doyle, California. The upper portion of the image is intact sagebrush desert while the lower part was previously burned.



No comments:

Post a Comment